Tuesday 1 November 2016

Share a Pencil

                                 

       My idea of looking at life is to exhibit our talents, get recognition, serve people and get happiness by making others happy. Its all about finding and creating ourselves.
        I had got an opportunity to work on a social oriented project based on the theme " taste from waste " . I took an exclusive initiative to create and work on the project and I named this project as " Share a Pencil ".
     The basic fundamental idea behind this project : Pencils when once reduced to half or less than half are usually thrown away. Such pencils are collected and an artistic paper holder is created and pencils are inserted into the paper holders. Now the children can hold these pencils comfortably and use them for writing. So in this way, we can use pencils until the very last bit. Therefore, it helps us to utilize things to the fullest possible. The story behind how I got this idea is kind of interesting. In the days when my mom did her schooling, my grandpa never let my mom and her siblings throw away short pencils. Instead, he collected all of them and inserted them all into long ink pen lids along with a paper within for support. So now the pencil looked longer and there is a sort of grip created to hold and use them further. I salute this creative idea of his which formed a base or a foundation for me to come up with a more modified, artistic idea of creating paper holders. These paper holders substituted the ink pen lids. I modified my grandpa's idea since ink pens with long caps are not much in use these days. its hard for me to go in search of such caps and collect them. Also, since many old newspapers and magazines go for waste, I wanted to use things which people think are waste and transform them into something useful. The idea does not end here, as mentioned above, I want to serve people. These paper wrapped pencils were distributed to government school kids who cannot afford to buy new pencils often. In addition to distribution, I also taught them how to do it, spoke to them and motivated the kids not to waste such pencils anymore. Not just pencils, I told them not waste anything. I asked them to think creatively and come up with new ideas as to how to completely use up things which are otherwise considered waste. it helps children to become more creative, imaginative and lets them own the pride of creating innovations.
     Seven day's time was given to me to work on this project and execute it. The first half of the first day was completely dedicated to think for and decide an idea. I listed out my ideas and some of the great ideas were already implemented. I did trial and error to select the best idea possible. Finally after all the research I made and all the thought I gave, I selected one out of the best ideas I had come up with.
     Now the next step is to compile materials. I made a brief plan about how to collect such huge number of pencils. I approached various sources. I asked every friend of mine possible for pencils. I also asked my mom to collect some from her ladies club. I went to each and every house in my area asking for pencils and explaining them that its for a good cause. They all supported a lot and searched and handed over pencils to me. I documented every step of this project through pictures, videos and writings. In a matter of two full days, I could manage to collect around 250 pencils. In two nights and one whole day I created paper holders for these pencils and wrapped them with magazine strips so that it looked presentable as they are going to be gifted to government school kids. I documented this step as well by capturing working stills.
      I utilized fifth and the sixth day to go to each and every government school in my area and one of the government school in the next area nearby. Kids were very much interested and curious to know what was the idea all about. I gifted my creation to the kids there and also taught and made them do it. Along with the kids, teachers also learnt the idea. Children promised me that they will not waste any more such pencils. I succeeded in creating the sense of thought and awareness in not just kids but also in adults to reduce waste, make something out of it to reuse it. In addition to the implementation of this project successfully, I uploaded a video featuring this project on you tube and I managed to get considerable number of views.
please check out hear: https://youtu.be/w7dI0RUIkjs
     Apart from the execution of project successfully, the responses, reviews, words of encouragement, points to be worked on for improvisations mean a lot to me as it helps me to make my future initiatives and projects better.
      Beyond my hard work, I dedicate the amount of impact I have created in the people around, all the recognition and encouragement that I have got, to my grandpa. This would definitely make him feel proud of himself and me as well.        

No comments:

Post a Comment