Tuesday 1 November 2016

IU literacy - Bridge from misery to hope

   

             Literacy is a quintessential element which requires atmost and keen importance. One of the most valuable and best way to serve people is to educate them about basic fundamentals of how to read and write. I feel very lucky as I have got an opportunity to work on such an amazing initiative.
             It is indeed true that now a days, adults understand the importance of education and send their children to schools. But it is also true that around 40% of women and children have not received even basic education. May be this is one of reason, why our nation is still called a developing country and not a developed one.
             It is wonderful to see villages running and maintaining schools. Hence, I feel it is worth conducting huge number of awareness programs to spread literacy in India which created a huge amount of impact and thus, we can see people in many of the rural areas coming out of their comfort zones and sending their kids to schools.
             My whole idea is to educate children and women and teach them how to read and write so that they can lead a more improved and independent life. Hence, I approached various places like markets, streets, construction sites and slums where there were many women and children whom I could teach them how to read and write.
             I had been to slums and took back an unforgettable lifetime experience. Initially, I requested a lot of children to learn how to read and write atleast their names alone, but none of the kids were ready to learn what I wanted to teach them. So, I was compelled to come up with ideas to make the kids learn. And hence, I bought lots of chocolates and started an offer and I named it as " make yourself a literate and take back a chocolate ". The minute the kids saw chocolates in my hand, all the children out there surrounded me and started requesting me to teach them so that they all can get chocolates. This showed that, people will get convinced only if they are convinced in the way they want to. I taught each and every kid how to read and write their names in English and in Kannada. I also taught numerals and Kannada alphabets to some of the children who were interested to learn.
             I got to experience the level of contentment one can get by sharing knowledge. I learnt that the very first step we take, is the one which brings about a change that sets the minds of this world to trace the actual purpose of life. And that very first step is to make up our minds, in order to impact another person's life positively. A simple way to spread literacy could be teaching your maids or their children how to read and write if they don't know. Therefore, I request each one of you all reading this, to take a step towards making a literate India.     

No comments:

Post a Comment