Tuesday 1 November 2016

I3 – Serve the Hungry

                         I3 – Serve the Hungry




I feel great when an opportunity comes to me all by itself when I want to serve people.

        I am very happy to share with you all, my memories, my experiences, my learnings and the overall story behind this successful project of mine - " Serve the Hungry ".    I was given a chance to take up a project based on the theme 36 meals. The basic idea behind the project theme was to donate meals to the needy. The concept of filling empty stomachs and bringing smiles on the faces of the poor was certainly to be appreciated. The minute this project was announced, I took it as my pleasure to work on this project, because the smiles I bring on the faces of the under privelaged people, the happiness I give to the poor are in a way, blessings given to me. And of course, good wishes and blessings I get would definitely add on to the betterment of myself as well as the betterment of the society. It also strengthens me to take up more and more social oriented projects and successfully implement them.

         Initially, I was blank as there were no innovative ideas running in my mind to work on the project. But  gradually, I gave it a lot of thought in order to make this project a success and feed as many hungry as possible in the given time limit. As I said, I didn’t even have a single idea to start the project. Therefore, out of seven days, first day was dedicated only and only to think and come up with an idea which acted as a base for my entire project. I named this project as “ Serve the Hungry “. The very first idea I got in my mind was to approach various places where food gets wasted. Such places may be hotels, party halls, weddings etc.

        So the first day itself, I spoke to three hotels. The heads supported me as it was for a good cause and they were willing to help. I requested them to hand over the left out food which is going to wasted. They agreed to share the left overs with me but it could be possible to give me the left overs only at nights during the closing hours. This made it difficult for me to search for the needy at night and feed them. So, after doing lots of trial and errors, I had to choose another idea. Now, the idea was to involve all my friends, relatives and neighbours into this campaign. I requested my classmates and other friends to get some extra lunch along with their lunch boxes. So that I can collect food from them and donate to the needy. I was happy as I had such supportive friends, who agreed and did the needful. I documented this step by clicking pictures. On the way home, I found 3 construction sites, therefore, I donated all the food which was given to me by 18 of my friends to around 20 workers in those sites. I captured this as well. And another idea of mine was to raise funds for this food donation campaign. I went around asking for funds to most of my lecturers in my college. Every teacher agreed to do their part of service and contributed for this social cause. With all the support, good will and encouragement from my teachers, I could raise enough funds in just a matter of 3 hours. As soon as I obtained enough amount of money required to carry out the project, I started working towards the implementation. Next day, I spoke to my mom about the next step, I asked her to prepare food at home for around 80 people. Luckily, my mom agreed wholeheartedly. I took my mom along with me to donate food to the labor at the construction sites, beggars on streets and workers who were need for food. I tried my level best to document every move I made to execute this project. We were able to visit 9 sites in a day and at the end of the day, we fed around 76 people.    Next day, my neighbor and my mom together prepared food. I took a friend along with me, searched and donated food for the handicapped, shelter-less, beggars, and aged people who look for food and who are in very much need for it. we could manage to serve 52 such people and unfortunately, very less number of people allowed us to click pictures.


         The beggars and the handicapped i found on streets usually expect money from us. but when i offered food, they were excited and more happy as well. and above all, they looked satisfied and that made me happy.    When you are involved in an activity, its pretty common that you have to face rejections. same thing happened to me as well. many people accepted the food but never gave me a chance to capture the moments. some people rejected the food also, as they were scared because, we had cameras and phones in our hands. learning how to face rejections is very essential in lfe is what I feel as it makes you brave, helps you to find a better opportunity. it sometimes lets us come to proper conclusions and take right decisions. 


         I am very lucky to have such an amazing mother who is damn supportive and always helps me in all that I do. I specially thank her as she has played a major rule in making this project a success. its not easy to cook for around 80 people all alone. I would like to dedicate all the recognition, rewards that I got for this project, to my mom. without her assistance, I wouldn't have done anything. it wouldn't be possible for me to do anything. I would proudly say that my mother is the women behind this project. I feel I am very lucky to have such a wonderful hearted lady as my mother.   
        I am glad that this project has bought smiles on the faces of people who accepted food from me. it was indeed an honor to " Serve the Hungry ".   
        
      
     

No comments:

Post a Comment